Enter the total number of 1,2,3,4 and 5 star ratings received to calculate your average star rating.
Average Rating Formula
The following equation can be used to calculate the average star rating given the total number of ratings at each level.
AR = 1*a+2*b+3*c+4*d+5*e/5
- Where AR is the average rating
- a is the number of 1 star ratings
- b is the number of 2 star ratings
- c is the number of 3 star ratings
- d is the number of 4 star ratings
- e is the number of 5 star ratings
This average formula is similar to how a weighted average is calculated. Each value is worth a different amount. For example, 4, 5-star ratings is worth 20 points and 3, 3 star ratings is worth 9 points. Take all of these values, add them up to a total, then divide by the number of possible ratings (5). This results in the average rating.