Enter the pipe diameter, pipe material, pipe length, and total elevation change to calculate the flow velocity and mass flow rate of a gravity fed pipe flow.
Pipe Flow Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the volumetric flow of water through a pipe of certain diameter length and height.
v = k * C * R0.63 * S0.54
- Where k is a constant (.849)
- C is the roughness coefficient (dependent on material of pipe)
- R is the hydraulic radius
- S is the slope of the pipe
- v is the velocity of water (m/s)
From this, the mass flow rate can be determine through multiplying the volume flow rate times the density.
m= p * v
- Where p is the density of the fluid
- v is the volumetric flow rate