Enter the initial velocity and final velocity into the calculator to determine the average velocity.
- All Velocity Calculators
- Velocity Calculator
- Instantaneous Velocity Calculator
- Initial Velocity Calculator
- Final Velocity Calculator
- Change in Velocity Calculator
- Constant Velocity Calculator
Average Velocity Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Average Velocity.
AV = (IV + FV) / 2
- Where AV is the average velocity (m/s)
- IV is the initial velocity (m/s)
- FV is the final velocity (m/s)
To calculate the average velocity, add together the initial and final velocity, then divide by 2.
What is an Average Velocity?
An average velocity is defined as the average change in distance with respect to time.
How to Calculate Average Velocity?
The following example outlines the steps and information needed to calculate the Average Velocity.
First, determine the initial velocity. In this example, the initial velocity is found to be 20 m/s.
Next, determine the final velocity. For this problem, the final velocity is found to be 30m/2.
Finally, calculate the Average Velocity using the formula above:
AV = IV + FV / 2
AV = 20 + 30 / 2
AV = 25 m/s