Enter the resistance and capacitance of a simple first-order low pass filter into the calculator to determine the cutoff frequency.
- Natural Frequency Calculator
- RLC Circuit Calculator (Solve for Frequency)
- Rise Time Calculator
- Fundamental Frequency Calculator
Cutoff Frequency Formula
The following formula can be used to calculate a cutoff frequency.
f = 1/ 2 * pi * R * C
- Where f is the cutoff frequency (Hz)
- R is the resistance (ohms)
- C is the capacitance (farads)
Cutoff Frequency Definition
A cutoff frequency is defined as the frequency at which an electrical system starts to reduce the amount of energy it lets through.
Cuttoff Frequency Example
How to calculate cutoff frequency?
- First, determine the resistance.
Measure the resistance in ohms of the low pass filter system.
- Next, determine the capacitance.
Of the same system, measure the capacitance in microfarads.
- Finally, determine the cutoff frequency.
Calculate the cutoff frequency using the formula above.
A cutoff frequency is a certain frequency in which the system starts to reduce the amount of energy it lets pass through begins to be reduced.