Enter the flywheel angular velocity and the flywheel momentum of inertia into the calculator to determine the Flywheel Momentum.
- All Momentum Calculators
- Rotational Momentum Calculator
- Angular Momentum Calculator
- Total Momentum Calculator
- System Momentum Calculator
- Flywheel Torque Calculator
Flywheel Momentum Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Flywheel Momentum.
pFLY = w * I
- Where pFLY is the Flywheel Momentum (m/s*kg)
- w is the flywheel angular velocity (rad/s)
- I is the flywheel momentum of inertia (m^2*kg)
What are the units for Flywheel Momentum?
The most common units for Flywheel Momentum are m/s*kg.
How to Calculate Flywheel Momentum?
The following example problem outlines the steps and information needed to calculate the Flywheel Momentum.
First, determine the flywheel angular velocity. In this example, the flywheel angular velocity is determined to be 41 (rad/s).
Next, determine the flywheel momentum of inertia. For this problem, the flywheel momentum of inertia is measured to be 7 (m^2*kg).
Finally, calculate the Flywheel Momentum using the formula above:
pFLY = w * I
Inserting the values from above and solving the equation with the imputed values gives:
pFLY = 41 * 7 = 287 (m/s*kg)