Enter the strength of the emf (volts) and the total resistance (ohms) into the calculator to determine the Initial Current.
- All Electrical Calculators
- Terminal Voltage Calculator
- Electromotive Force Calculator
- Armature Current Calculator
- Charge to Current Calculator
Initial Current Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Initial Current.
Ii = EMF / R
- Where Ii is the Initial Current (amps)
- EMF is the strength of the emf (volts)
- R is the total resistance (ohms)
How to Calculate Initial Current?
The following two example problems outline how to calculate the Initial Current.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the strength of the emf (volts). In this example, the strength of the emf (volts) is measured to be 90.
- Next, determine the total resistance (ohms). For this problem, the total resistance (ohms) is calculated to be 10.
- Finally, calculate the Initial Current using the formula above:
Ii = EMF / R
Inserting the values from above and solving the equation with the imputed values gives:
Ii = 90 / 10 = 9 (amps)
Example Problem #2:
Using the same process as example problem 1, we first define the variables outlined by the formula. In this case, the values are:
strength of the emf (volts) = 80
total resistance (ohms) = 15
Entering these values into the formula or calculator above gives us::
Ii = 80/ 15 = 5.33 (amps)