Enter the wavelength and frequency of a photon into the calculator. The calculator will display the total energy of that photon.
Energy of a Photon Formula
The following equation can be used to calculate the energy of a particular photon.
E = h * c / λ = h * f
- E is the energy of a photon
- h is the Planck constant, (6.6261 × 10−34 J*s)
- c is the speed of light, (299 792 458 m / s)
- λ is the wavelength of a photon,
- f is the frequency of a photon.
Photon Energy Definition
Photon energy is defined as the total kinetic energy contained within one photon of light.
How to calculate photon energy?
How to calculate photon energy
- First, determine the wavelength
This will be the wavelength the the path the photon is traveling.
- Next, determine the frequency of the photon
This will be the frequency of the wavelength from step 1.
Calculate the energy of the photon using the wavelength and frequency along with the Planck constant (6.6261 × 10−34 J*s) and speed of light. (299 792 458 m / s). Just plug all 4 pieces of information into the formula above.
Photon Energy is the total kinetic energy a particular photon has. Energy, typically is measured in joules on smaller scales, but photons are so minuscule that they use units designed for even smaller scales like the electrovolt.