Enter the momentum of inertia and the angular velocity into the calculator to determine the Rotational Momentum.
- All Momentum Calculators
- Angular Momentum Calculator
- Linear Momentum Calculator
- Conservation of Momentum Calculator (Final Velocity)
- Flywheel Momentum Calculator
Rotational Momentum Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Rotational Momentum.
p = I * Va
- Where p is the Rotational Momentum (m/s*kg)
- I is the momentum of inertia (kg*m^2)
- Va is the angular velocity (rad/s)
What are the units for Rotational Momentum?
The most common units for Rotational Momentum are m/s*kg.
How to Calculate Rotational Momentum?
The following example problem outlines the steps and information needed to calculate the Rotational Momentum.
First, determine the momentum of inertia. In this example, the momentum of inertia is determined to be 27 (kg*m^2).
Next, determine the angular velocity. For this problem, the angular velocity is measured to be 5 (rad/s).
Finally, calculate the Rotational Momentum using the formula above:
p = I * Va
Inserting the values from above and solving the equation with the imputed values gives:
p = 27* 5 = 135 (m/s*kg)