Enter the sound pressure and reference pressure into the calculator to determine the sound pressure level, also known as dB level.
- Speed of Sound Calculator
- De Broglie Wavelength Equation Calculator
- Wavelength Calculator
- Intensity Calculator
Sound Pressure Level Formula
The following equation is used to calculate a sound pressure level.
dB = 10 * log ( p^2 / pr^2)
- Where dB is the sound pressure in decibels
- P is the sound pressure (pascals)
- pr is the reference pressure (pascals)
Sound Pressure Level Definition
A sound pressure level is the pressure differential caused by the pressure of a sound wave and an ambient pressure.
Sound Pressure Example
How to calculate a sound pressure?
- First, determine the sound pressure.
Measure the total pressure of the sound.
- Next, determine the reference pressure.
Most often this is just the atmospheric pressure.
- Finally, calculate the sound pressure level.
Calculate the decibels of the sound using the equation above.
A sound pressure level is a pressure wave caused by a differential in pressure produces by sound waves.