Enter the force applied (N) and the compression (m) into the calculator to determine the Strain Energy.
- All Energy Calculators
- Lattice Strain Calculator
- Shear Strain Calculator
- Ionization Energy Calculator
- Surface Energy Calculator
- Radiant Energy Calculator
Strain Energy Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Strain Energy.
Es = F*C / 2
- Where Es is the Strain Energy (Joules)
- F is the force applied (N)
- C is the compression (m)
How to Calculate Strain Energy?
The following two example problems outline the steps and information needed in order to calculate the Strain Energy.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the force applied (N). In this example, the force applied (N) is measured to be 8.
- Next, determine the compression (m). For this problem, the compression (m) is calculated to be 6.
- Finally, calculate the Strain Energy using the formula above:
Es = F*C / 2
Inserting the values from above and solving the equation with the imputed values gives:
Es = 8*6 / 2 = 24 (Joules)
Example Problem #2:
Using the same process as example problem 1, we first define the needed variables outlined by the formula. In this case, the values are provide as:
force applied (N) = 8
compression (m) = 2
Entering these values into the formula or calculator above gives us:
Es = 8*2 / 2 = 8 (Joules)