Enter the volume flow rate of the phase and the cross-sectional area of medium into the calculator to determine the superficial gas velocity.
- All Velocity Calculators
- Velocity Calculator
- Volumetric Flow Rate Calculator
- Particles Velocity Calculator (Gas)
- Drift Velocity Calculator
- Electron Velocity Calculator
- Gas Velocity Calculator
Superficial Gas Velocity Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a Superficial Gas Velocity.
Us = Q / A
- Where Us is the Superficial Gas Velocity (m/s)
- Q is the volumetric flow rate of the phase (m^3/s)
- A is the cross-sectional area of the medium (m^2)
To calculate a Superficial Gas Velocity, divide the flow rate of the phase by the cross-sectional area of the medium.
What is Superficial Gas Velocity?
A superficial gas velocity is an estimation of the speed at which fluid or gas moves through an object.
How to calculate Superficial Gas Velocity?
The following example problem outlines how to calculate Superficial Gas Velocity.
First, determine the volumetric flow of the gas in the phase. For this example, the flow rate is 50m^3/s.
Next, determine the cross-sectional area of the medium. The cross-sectional area in this example is 25 m^2.
Finally, calculate the Superficial Gas Velocity using the formula above:
Us = Q / A
Us = 50 / 25
Us = 2 m/s