Enter the wind speed, acute wind angle, and the true airspeed into the calculator to determine the wind correction angle.
Wind Correction Angle Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a wind correction angle.
WCA = asin ( WS * (sin(AWA)/TAS))
- Where WCA is the wind correction angle (degrees)
- WS is the wind speed
- AWA is the acute wind angle
- TAS is the true airspeed of the vehicle
Wind Correction Angle Definition
A wind correction angle is an angle that an aircraft should adjust its flight to when under the force of the wind in order to hold the same true bearing as if there was no wind at all.
Wind Correction Angle Example
How to calculate a wind correction angle?
- First, determine the wind speed.
Measure or calculate the wind speed.
- Next, determine the acute wind angle.
Calculate the acute wind angle.
- Next, determine the true air speed.
Calculate the true air speed of the plane.
- Finally, calculate the wind correction angle.
Calculate the wind correction angle using the equation above.
A wind correction angle is a measure of the angle a vehicle should point at when under the force of wind in order to hold the same true bearing or desired true direction.