Enter the load in pounds and the area in square feet into the calculator to determine the deck strength in pounds per square foot. This calculator helps in assessing the structural integrity of a deck.
Deck Strength Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the deck strength:
DS = L / A
- DS is the deck strength (pounds per square foot)
- L is the load on the deck (pounds)
- A is the area of the deck (square feet)
To calculate the deck strength, divide the load on the deck by the area of the deck.
What is Deck Strength?
Deck strength is a measure of how much weight a deck can support over its entire surface area. It is typically expressed in pounds per square foot (psf) and is a critical factor in ensuring the safety and longevity of a deck structure. Proper calculation of deck strength is essential for compliance with building codes and to prevent structural failures.
How to Calculate Deck Strength?
The following steps outline how to calculate the Deck Strength:
- First, determine the load on the deck (L) in pounds.
- Next, determine the area of the deck (A) in square feet.
- Next, gather the formula from above = DS = L / A.
- Finally, calculate the Deck Strength (DS) in pounds per square foot.
- After inserting the variables and calculating the result, check your answer with the calculator above.
Use the following variables as an example problem to test your knowledge.
Load on the deck (L) = 5000 pounds
Area of the deck (A) = 100 square feet