Enter the gestational age of the pregnancy into the calculator to estimate the expected fundal height. Fundal height is a measure of the size of the uterus used to assess fetal growth and development during pregnancy.
Fundal Height Formula
The following formula is used to estimate the fundal height in centimeters:
FH = GA * 0.5 + 4
- FH is the fundal height (cm)
- GA is the gestational age (weeks)
To estimate the fundal height, multiply the gestational age by 0.5 and then add 4 centimeters. This formula is a general guideline and individual measurements can vary based on many factors.
What is Fundal Height?
Fundal height is the distance from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus measured in centimeters. It is used by healthcare providers during prenatal visits to assess fetal growth and development. The measurement is typically correlated with gestational age in weeks, and it can help identify potential issues with the pregnancy such as fetal growth restriction or macrosomia.
How to Calculate Fundal Height?
The following steps outline how to estimate the Fundal Height:
- First, determine the gestational age (GA) of the pregnancy in weeks.
- Next, use the formula FH = GA * 0.5 + 4 to estimate the fundal height in centimeters.
- Finally, compare the estimated fundal height with the actual measurement taken during a prenatal visit.
Use the following variables as an example problem to test your knowledge.
Gestational age (GA) = 24 weeks
Using the formula, the estimated fundal height would be:
FH = 24 * 0.5 + 4 = 16 cm