Enter the GSM value and the density of the material into the calculator to determine the thickness in micrometers. This calculator helps in converting the weight of paper or other materials in grams per square meter (GSM) to their thickness.
GSM to Thickness Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the thickness of a material from its GSM and density.
Thickness (µm) = (GSM / Density) * 1000
- GSM is the weight of the material given in grams per square meter.
- Density is the density of the material given in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³).
- Thickness is the resulting thickness of the material in micrometers (µm).
To calculate the thickness, divide the GSM by the density of the material and then multiply by 1000 to convert the result into micrometers.
What is GSM?
GSM stands for grams per square meter and is a standard unit of measurement for the weight of paper and other materials. A higher GSM indicates a heavier and typically thicker material. It is an important specification for quality control in manufacturing and purchasing materials.
How to Calculate Thickness from GSM?
The following steps outline how to calculate the thickness of a material from its GSM and density.
- First, determine the GSM of the material.
- Next, determine the density of the material in g/cm³.
- Use the formula from above to calculate the thickness in micrometers.
- Finally, input the GSM and density into the calculator to get the thickness.
Example Problem :
Use the following variables as an example problem to test your knowledge.
GSM of the material = 250 grams per square meter
Density of the material = 0.8 g/cm³