Enter the efficiency (%), the height (m), and the flow rate (m^3/s) into the calculator to determine the Hydro Power.
- All Electrical Calculators
- WHP (Water Horsepower) Calculator
- Hydro Energy Calculator
- Water Velocity Calculator
- Water Wheel Power Calculator
Hydro Power Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Hydro Power.
Ph = n*p*g*h*Q
- Where Ph is the Hydro Power (watts)
- n is the efficiency (%)
- h is the height (m)
- Q is the flow rate (m^3/s)
- p is the density of the water (997 kg/m^3)
- g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s^2)
How to Calculate Hydro Power?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Hydro Power.
Example Problem #1
- First, determine the efficiency (%). In this example, the efficiency (%) is determined to be 1.3.
- Next, determine the height (m). For this problem, the height (m) is measured to be 5.4 .
- Next, determine the flow rate (m^3/s). In this case, the flow rate (m^3/s) is found to be 1.6.
- Finally, calculate the Hydro Power using the formula above:
Ph = n*p*g*h*Q
Inserting the values from above and solving yields:
Ph = 1.3*997*9.81*5.4*1.6 = 109,855.36 (watts)
Example Problem #2
Using the same method as above, determine the variables required by the formula. For this example problem, these are:
efficiency (%) = 8.4
height (m) = 5.2
flow rate (m^3/s) = 9.5
Enter these given values into the calculator or above yields:
Ph = 8.4*997*9.81*5.2*9.5 = 4,058,545.32 (watts)