Enter the velocity (km/s) and the Hubble Constant (km/s/Mpc) into the Redshift Distance Calculator. The calculator will evaluate and display the Redshift Distance.
- All Distance Calculators
- Redshift to Velocity Calculator
- Star Distance Calculator
- Orbital Distance Calculator
Redshift Distance Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Redshift Distance.
RD = v / H
- Where RD is the Redshift Distance (Mpc)
- v is the velocity (km/s)
- H is the Hubble Constant (km/s/Mpc)
How to Calculate Redshift Distance?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Redshift Distance.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the velocity (km/s).
- The velocity (km/s) is given as: 150.
- Next, determine the Hubble Constant (km/s/Mpc).
- The Hubble Constant (km/s/Mpc) is provided as: 74.
- Finally, calculate the Redshift Distance using the equation above:
RD = v / H
The values given above are inserted into the equation below and the solution is calculated:
RD = 150 / 74 = 2.02 (Mpc)
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables needed are provided below:
velocity (km/s) = 200
Hubble Constant (km/s/Mpc) = 69.8
This example problem is a test of your knowledge on the subject. Use the calculator above to check your answer.
RD = v / H = ?