Enter the sound level and distance at point 1, and the sound level at point 2 into the calculator to find the distance at point 2.
- Decibel Calculator
- DB Gain Calculator
- Dipole Antenna Calculator – Length | Formula
- Insertion Loss Calculator
Decibel Distance Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the decibel distance.
D2 = D1 / Sqrt (I2 / I1)
- Where D2 is the distance at point 2
- D1 is the distance at point 1
- I2 is the decibel level at point 2
- I1 is the decibel level at point 1
Decibel Distance Definition
What is decibel distance? A decibel distance is a measure of distance that a certain decibel level is reached given an initial distance and sound level from the sound source.
How to calculate decibel distance?
- First, determine the sound level at point 1.
The sound level at point 1 in this example is found to be 20 dB.
- Next, determine the distance from the source at point 1.
The distance from the sound source to point 1 is found to be 20 ft.
- Next, determine the sound level at point 2.
The sound level at point 2 is found to be 3 dB.
- Finally, calculate the distance to point 2 from the source.
The final distance is calculated to be 20 / Sqrt (3/20) = 51.639 ft.
About Decibel Distance
How does sound change with distance? The sound level from a source changes with the square of the change in distance.