Enter the molar mass and the mass density into the calculator to determine the molar volume.
Molar Volume Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a molar volume.
Vm = M / ρ
- Where VM is the molar volume (L/mol)
- M is the molar mass (g/mol)
- ρ is the mass density (g/L)
Molar Volume Definitoin
A molar volume is defined as the total liters or total volume occupied per mole of a substance.
Molar Volume Example
How to calculate molar volume?
- First, determine the molar mass.
The molar mass is the number of grams per mole of a substance. For this example we will say this is 20 g/mol.
- Next, determine the density.
For this example we will say the density is 5 g/L.
- Finally, calculate the molar volume.
The molar volume is 20/5 = 4 L/mol
Molar volume is measure of the molar mass per unit density. At standard temperature and pressure the molar volume is the volume that one mole of a given molecule occupies.