Enter the total energy produced (J) and the total energy consumed (J) into the calculator to determine the Net Energy.
- All Energy Calculators
- Solar Energy Calculator
- Total Kinetic Energy Calculator
- EUI (Energy Use Intensity) Calculator
- Waste To Energy Calculator
- Increase In Potential Energy Calculator
Net Energy Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Net Energy.
NE = Ep - Ec
- Where NE is the Net Energy (J)
- Ep is the total energy produced (J)
- Ec is the total energy consumed (J)
To calculate the net energy, subtract the energy consumed from the energy produced.
How to Calculate Net Energy?
The following two example problems outline the steps and information needed in order to calculate the Net Energy.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the total energy produced (J). In this example, the total energy produced (J) is measured to be 86.
- Next, determine the total energy consumed (J). For this problem, the total energy consumed (J) is calculated to be 4.
- Finally, calculate the Net Energy using the formula above:
NE = Ep – Ec
Inserting the values from above and solving the equation with the imputed values gives:
NE = 86 – 4 = +82 (J)
Example Problem #2:
Using the same process as example problem 1, we first define the needed variables outlined by the formula. In this case, the values are provide as:
total energy produced (J) = 96
total energy consumed (J) = 309
Entering these values into the formula or calculator above gives us:
NE = 96-309 = -203 (J)