Enter the sample mean, population mean, standard deviation, and sample size into the t statistic calculator to determine the t-value of that set of data.
- Z-score calculator
- Average Rating Calculator
- Coefficient of Variation Calculator
- Relative Error Calculator
T Statistic Formula
The following formula can be used to calculate the t statistic of a data set.
t = [ x – μ> ] / [ s / sqrt( n ) ]
- Where X is the sample mean
- μ is the population mean
- s is the standard deviation of the sample
- n is the sample size
The most important point to note about this formula is that the standard deviation is of the sample, not the entire population.
T Statistic Definition
A t statistic is statistic that defines the relationship between a sample and a population. In other words a measure of the accuracy of a sample.
How to calculate t statistic?
How to calculate a t statistic
- First, determine the sample mean
Calculate the sample mean of the data set
- Next, determine the population mean
Calculate the mean of the entire population
- Calculate the standard deviation of the sample
Use the formula for standard deviation
- Finally, Calculate the t-statistic
Using the values from steps 1-3 and the sample size, calculate the t-statistic through the formula above.
A T statistic, also known as t value, is a term used to describe the relationship between a sample set to a population set. It’s used to condense large amounts of data into a single value.