Enter the size of the film and the effective focal length of the camera to determine the angle of view.
- Field of View Calculator
- Depth of Field Calculator
- Magnification Calculator
- Vertical FOV Calculator
- Crop Factor Calculator
Angle of View Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the angle of view of a camera.
AOV = 2arctan (d/2f)
- Where AOV is the angle of view
- d is the chosen dimension (often film or sensor size)
- f is the effective focal length.
Angle of View Definition
An angle of view, or AOV for short, is defined as the angular extent of a scene that can be captured by a camera.
Angle of View Example
How to calculate an angle of view?
- First, determine the film size.
Calculate or measure the chosen dimension, usually the film size.
- Next, determine the focal length.
Calculate the effective focal length.
- Finally, calculate the angle of view.
Using the equation above, calculate the AOV.
An angle of view is the total extent of a scene that a camera can see. This term is also sometimes referred to as field of view.