Enter the total number of contact time (hours) into the calculator to determine the equivalent number of continuing education units (CEUs).
- Cost Per Credit Hour Calculator
- Acceptance Rate Calculator
- Completion Rate Calculator
- Cost of Attendance Calculator
The following formula is used to calculate the number of continuing education units:
CEU = CT / 10
- Where CEU is the continuing education units
- CT is the total amount of contact time (hours)
The total contact time can further be broken down into the following equation:
CT = (MFA – MNAA) / 60
- Where MFA is the minutes for all activities
- MNAA is the minutes for non-allowable activities
A CEU, short for continuing education unit, is defined as 10 hours of contact of learner interaction with the content of the activity achieving a goal of supporting a learning outcome.
These units are used to evaluate professionals’ ability to continue learning and keep or maintain their licenses in their fields.
How to calculate CEU?
- First, determine the total minutes of all activities.
For this example, the total minutes for all activities was 400 minutes.
- Next, determine the total number of non-allowable minutes during that time.
The amount of time of non-allowable minutes was 60 minutes.
- Next, subtract the non-allowable minutes from the total.
400 – 60 = 320 minutes.
- Finally, calculate the total number of continuing education units.
Using the formula above, the number of CEUs are calculated to be:
CEU = CT / 10
CEU = 320/60/10
CEU = .533