Enter the center of the range of wavelengths and the total range of the wavelengths into the Coherence Length Calculator. The calculator will evaluate the Coherence Length.
- All Length Calculators
- Wavelength to Energy Calculator
- Peak Wavelength (Wien’s Law) Calculator
- Energy to Wavelength Calculator
Coherence Length Formula
The following two example problems outline the steps and information needed to calculate the Coherence Length.
COL = λ^2 / (2*dλ)
- Where COL is the Coherence Length ( )
- λ is the center of the range of wavelengths
- dλ is the total range of the wavelengths
How to Calculate Coherence Length?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Coherence Length.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the center of the range of wavelengths.
- The center of the range of wavelengths is given as: 3.
- Next, determine the total range of the wavelengths.
- The total range of the wavelengths is provided as: 4.
- Finally, calculate the Coherence Length using the equation above:
COL = λ^2 / 2*dλ
The values provided above are inserted into the equation below and computed.
COL = 3^2 / (2*4) = 1.125
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables required are provided below:
center of the range of wavelengths = 10
total range of the wavelengths = 20
Test your knowledge using the equation and check your answer with the calculator..
COL = λ^2 / 2*dλ = ?