Enter the initial volume and the dilution volume into the calculator below to determine the final volume and the dilution factor. The dilution factor is a ratio of dilutant to total stock or volume.
- Dilution Calculator
- Vapor Pressure Calculator
- Osmotic Pressure Calculator
- Cell Density Calculator
- Bacterial Concentration Calculator
Dilution Factor Formula
The following equation can be used to calculate the dilution factor.
D:S = D / S
- Where D:S is the dilutant to stock volume ratio
- D is the volume of dilutant
- S is the volume of the stock (also known as the total volume)
As with all ratios, the formula for calculating that ratio is a simple division. It’s important to remember that the units should be the same for the volume of the dilution and the final volume. Otherwise you will not get the correct ratio.
Dilution Factor Definition
A dilution factor is the ratio of volume of a dilutant to the total volume of the stock or solution the dilutant is going into.
How to calculate dilution factor?
How to calculate a dilution factor?
- First, measure the volume of the dilution.
Measure the volume of the dilutant being added to the stock.
- Next, measure the volume of the solution.
Measure the total volume of the solution/stock.
- Finally, calculate the dilution factor.
Using the equation above to calculate the dilution factor.
A dilution factor is a measure of the ratio of a dilution amount to total stock volume.