Enter the total number of fish and the total volume of water (gallons) into the Fish Density Calculator. The calculator will evaluate and display the Fish Density.
- All Density Calculators
- Aquarium Stock Calculator
- Stocking Rate Calculator
- Viscosity to Density Calculator
Fish Density Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Fish Density.
FD = F / VW
- Where FD is the Fish Density (fish/gallon)
- F is the total number of fish
- VW is the total volume of water (gallons)
To calculate the fish density, divide the total number of fish by the total volume of water.
How to Calculate Fish Density?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Fish Density.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the total number of fish.
- The total number of fish is given as: 500.
- Next, determine the total volume of water (gallons).
- The total volume of water (gallons) is provided as: 1000.
- Finally, calculate the Fish Density using the equation above:
FD = #F / VW
The values given above are inserted into the equation below:
FD = 500 / 1000 = .5 (fish/gallon)
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables needed are provided below:
total number of fish = 205
total volume of water (gallons) = 59
This example problem is a test of your knowledge on the subject. Use the calculator above to check your answer.
FD = #F / VW = ?