Enter the pressure, temperature, and the molar mass in to the calculator to determine the density of a gas.
Gas Density Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the density of a gas.
d = P*M / R*T
- Where d is the density (g/L)
- P is the pressure (atm)
- M is the molar mass (g/mol)
- R is the gas constant (.0821 (atm*L/mol*K)
- T is the temperature (K)
Gas Density Definition
A gas density is defined as the total mass of a gas per unit of volume that is dependent on the pressure, molar mass, and temperature of the gas.
Gas Density Example
How to calculate gas density?
- Fist, determine the pressure.
Calculate or measure the pressure acting on the gas in atmospheres.
- Next, determine the temperature.
Measure the temperature of the gas in kelvin.
- Next, determine the molar mass.
Calculate the molar mass in g/mol.
- Finally, calculate the gas density.
Calculate the gas density using the formula above.
The density of a gas is dependent on the pressure, temperature and molar mass.