Enter your maximum heart rate and resting heart rate into the calculator to determine your heart rate reserve.
- Max Heart Rate Calculator
- Resting Heart Rate Calculator
- Heart Rate Zone Calculator
- Aerobic Capacity Calculator (V02 Max Calculator)
- Stress Test Heart Rate Calculator
Heart Rate Reserve Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a heart rate reserve.
HRR = MHR – RHR
- Where HRR is your heart rate reserve
- MHR is your maximum heart rate
- RHR is your resting heart rate
Heart Rate Reserve Definition
A heart rate reserve is a difference between maximum heart rate and resting heart rate.
Heart Rate Reserve Example
How to calculate heart rate reserve?
- First, determine your maximum heart rate.
Using the calculator linked above, determine your maximum heart rate based on your age and gender.
- Next, determine your resting heart rate.
By either counting your beats per minute or using the calculator linked above, determine your resting heart rate.
- Finally, calculate your heart rate reserve.
Subtract your resting heart rate from your maximum heart rate to determine your HRR.
Heart rate reserve is simply defined as the difference between your maximum heart rate and resting heart rate. In general the larger the heart rate reserve, the better cardiovascular condition a person is in.
Health individuals should shoot for heart rate reserves greater than 120 to be considered healthy.