Enter the total number of housing units and the total area (miles^2) into the Housing Density Calculator. The calculator will evaluate and display the Housing Density.
- All Density Calculators
- Residential Density Calculator
- Population Density Calculator
- Water Demand Calculator
Housing Density Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Housing Density.
HD = #H / TA
- Where HD is the Housing Density (houses/miles^2)
- #H is the total number of housing units
- TA is the total area (miles^2)
How to Calculate Housing Density?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Housing Density.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the total number of housing units.
- The total number of housing units is given as: 800.
- Next, determine the total area (miles^2).
- The total area (miles^2) is provided as: 20.
- Finally, calculate the Housing Density using the equation above:
HD = #H / TA
The values given above are inserted into the equation below:
HD = 800 / 20 = 40 (houses/miles^2)
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables needed are provided below:
total number of housing units = 2150
total area (miles^2) = 594
This example problem is a test of your knowledge on the subject. Use the calculator above to check your answer.
HD = #H / TA = ?