Enter the total number of units and the total lot area (acres) into the Residential Density Calculator. The calculator will evaluate and display the Residential Density.
- All Density Calculators
- Population Density Calculator
- Lot Coverage Calculator
- Land to Building Ratio Calculator
Residential Density Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Residential Density.
RD = U / LA
- Where RD is the Residential Density (units/acre)
- U is the total number of units
- LA is the total lot area (acres)
To calculate residential density, divide the total number of units by the total lot area.
How to Calculate Residential Density?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Residential Density.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the total number of units.
- The total number of units is given as: 500.
- Next, determine the total lot area (acres).
- The total lot area (acres) is provided as: 6.
- Finally, calculate the Residential Density using the equation above:
RD = #U / LA
The values given above are inserted into the equation below:
RD = 500 / 6 = 30 (units/acre)
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables needed are provided below:
total number of units = 700
total lot area (acres) = 10
This example problem is a test of your knowledge on the subject. Use the calculator above to check your answer.
RD = #U / LA = ?