Enter the mean corpuscular volume and the red blood cell count into the Calculator. The calculator will evaluate the Mentzer Index.
Mentzer Index Formula
MI = MCV / RBC
- MI is the Mentzer Index (())
- MCV (fl) is the mean corpuscular volume
- RBC (milllions per microliter) is the red blood cell count
To calculate Mentzer Index, divide the mean corpuscular volume by the red blood cell count in millions per microliter.
How to Calculate Mentzer Index?
The following steps outline how to calculate the Mentzer Index.
- First, determine the mean corpuscular volume.
- Next, determine the red blood cell count.
- Next, gather the formula from above = MI = MCV / RBC.
- Finally, calculate the Mentzer Index.
- After inserting the variables and calculating the result, check your answer with the calculator above.
Example Problem :
Use the following variables as an example problem to test your knowledge.
mean corpuscular volume = 500
red blood cell count = 43