Enter the normal force (N) and the total area (m^2) into the Calculator. The calculator will evaluate the Normal Stress.
Normal Stress Formula
NS = NF / A
- NS is the Normal Stress (N/m^2)
- NF is the normal force (N)
- A is the total area (m^2)
To calculate Normal Stress, divide the normal force by the area of contact.
How to Calculate Normal Stress?
The following steps outline how to calculate Normal Stress.
- First, determine the normal force (N).
- Next, determine the total area (m^2).
- Next, gather the formula from above = NS = NF / A.
- Finally, calculate the Normal Stress.
- After inserting the variables and calculating the result, check your answer with the calculator above.
Example Problem :
Use the following variables as an example problem to test your knowledge.
normal force (N) = 507
total area (m^2) = 32