Enter the inductive reactance, capacitive reactance, and resistance. The calculate will evaluate and display the phase angle in degrees or radians.
- Capacitive Reactance Calculator
- Inductor Energy Storage Calculator
- Transformer Calculator
- Phase Difference Calculator
- Reactive Power Calculator
Phase Angle Formula
The following equation can be used to calculate the phase angle of a coil.
A = tan^-1(XL-XC/R)
- Where A is the phase angle
- XL is the inductive reactance
- XC is the capacitive reactance
- R is the resistance
Phase Angle Definition
A phase angle is the amount at which the voltage of a coil or circuit is leading or lagging behind the current of the same coil or circuit. This term is used most in electromagnetism.
Phase Angle Example
How to calculate a phase angle?
- First, determine the inductive reactance.
Measure the inductive reactance of the circuit.
- Next, determine the capacitive reactance.
Measure the capacitive reactance of the circuit.
- Next, determine the resistance.
Measure the total resistance of the circuit.
- Finally, calculate the phase angle.
Calculate the phase angle using the formula above.
A phase angle is the leading or lagging amount that the voltage is moving through a circuit.