Enter the stroke length (mm) and the RPM (rev/min) into the calculator to determine the mean piston speed.
- Crawl Ratio Calculator
- Torque to Force Calculator
- Compression Ratio Calculator
- Stroke Volume Calculator
Piston Speed Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the mean piston speed.
MPS = 2 * S / 1000* RPM / 60
- Where MPS is the mean piston speed (m/s)
- S is the stroke length (mm)
- RPM is the rotations per minute of the engine.
Piston Speed Definition
A piston speed, also commonly known as the mean piston speed, is the velocity of a moving piston inside a combustion engine.
Piston Speed Example
How to calculate a piston speed?
- First, determine the stroke length.
Measure the total stroke length of the piston.
- Next, determine the RPM.
Measure or calculate the rotations per minute of the engine.
- Finally, calculate the piston speed.
Calculate the velocity of the piston using the formula above.
A piston is an actuating cylinder in an internal combustion engine that is driven by the force of combustion and transfers that movement to the wheels of a car.