Enter the angular moment and the angular velocity into the calculate to determine the rotational inertia.
- Angular Momentum Calculator
- Angular Velocity Calculator
- Mass Moment of Inertia Calculator (Point Mass)
Rotational Inertia Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a rotational inertia.
I = L / w
- Where I is the rotational inertia (kg*m^2)
- L is the angular momentum (kg*m^2*s^-1)
- w is the angular velocity (rad/s)
Rotational Inertia Definition
A rotational inertia is defined as the total resistance to rotational movement about a radius.
Rotational Inertia Example
How to calculate rotational inertia.
- First, determine the angular moment.
For this example we will say the rotating object has an angular moment of 20 (kg*m^2*s^-1).
- Next, determine the angular velocity.
For this example the angular velocity will be 25 rad/s.
- Finally, calculate the angular inertia.
Using the formula we find the inertia to be 20/25 = .80.
Rotational inertia, is the resistance of an object to rotate about an object.