Enter the moment of inertia about the axis and the total mass into the calculator to determine the radius of gyration.
- Hydraulic Radius Calculator (+ Wetted Perimeter)
- Orbital Period Calculator
- Mass Moment of Inertia Calculator (Point Mass)
Radius of Gyration Formula
The following equation can be used to calculate the radius of gyration.
kx = Sqrt ( Ix / m )
- Where kx is the radius of gyration
- Ix is the moment of inertia of the point mass
- m is the total mass
Radius of Gyration Definition
A radius of gyration is the distance to a point that would have a moment of inertia as a distributed mass.
Radius of Gyration Example
How to calculate radius of gyration?
- First, determine the moment of inertia.
Calculate the moment of inertia of the point mass. If you are unsure of how to calculate this value, you can visit the calculator linked above.
- Next, determine the total mass.
Calculate or measure the total mass of the point.
- Finally, calculate the radius of gyration.
Using the formula presented above, calculate the radius of gyration.
A radius of gyration is the distance to a point that would have the same moment of inertia as a body distributed mass if all of the mass was located at the one point.