Enter the water depth (in) and the elapsed time (min) into the Soil Infiltration Rate Calculator. The calculator will evaluate the Soil Infiltration Rate.
- All Rate Calculators
- Waterfall Flow Rate Calculator
- Soil Stockpile Volume Calculator
- Void Ratio Calculator
Soil Infiltration Rate Formula
The following two example problems outline the steps and information needed to calculate the Soil Infiltration Rate.
SIR = WD / T
- Where SIR is the Soil Infiltration Rate (in/min)
- WD is the water depth (in)
- T is the elapsed time (min)
To calculate soil infiltration rate, divide the water depth by the elapsed time.
How to Calculate Soil Infiltration Rate?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Soil Infiltration Rate.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the water depth (in).
- The water depth (in) is given as: 5.
- Next, determine the elapsed time (min).
- The elapsed time (min) is provided as: 30.
- Finally, calculate the Soil Infiltration Rate using the equation above:
SIR = WD / T
The values provided above are inserted into the equation below and computed.
SIR = 5 / 30 = .167 (in/min)
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables required are provided below:
water depth (in) = 6
elapsed time (min) = 10
Test your knowledge using the equation and check your answer with the calculator..
SIR = WD / T = ?