Enter the total number of crimes that have occurred in a given area and the number of people in the area into the calculator to determine the crime rate per 100,000 people.
Crime Rate Formula
The following formula is used to calculate a crime rate.
CR = TC / P *100,000
- Where CR is the rate of crimes per 100,000 people
- TC is the total number of crimes committed in an area
- P is the total population of the area
Crime Rate Definition
What is a crime rate? A crime rate is defined as the total number of crimes performed per a certain number of people in a specified area. This is typically expressed per 100,000 people.
How to calculate crime rate?
- First, determine the number of crimes committed in an area.
For this example, the area of a city was found to have 1,000 crimes over an entire year.
- Next, determine the total population.
The city has a population of 95,000.
- Finally, calculate the crime rate.
Using the formula above, the crime rate is found to be 1,000/95,000*100,000 = 1,052 crimes per 100,000 people.
About Crime Rate
What is the crime rate in the US? In 2019, the violent crime rate was 366.7 per 100,000 people.
Are crime rates decreasing or increasing? Crimes in the United States have been decreasing since the mid 1900’s.