Enter the total energy and the total volume of a system into the calculator to determine the energy density.
Energy Density Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the energy density of a volume.
E_d = E / V
- Where Ed is the energy density (J/m^3)
- E is the total energy (J)
- V is the total volume (m^3)
To calculate energy density, divide the total energy by the total volume.
Energy Density Definition
An energy density is defined as the total energy per unit of volume or area of a system.
Energy Density Example
How to calculate energy density?
- First, measure the total energy of the system.
For this example, we will say we calculated the total energy to be 1,000 Joules.
- Next, determine the total volume.
Measuring the total volume we find our system is 40 m^3.
- Finally, calculate the energy density.
Using the formula we find the energy density to be 1,000/40 = 25 J/m^3.
Energy density is a measure of the total energy per unit volume of a system. It can also be the energy per unit area when looking at a surface area.