Enter the length, width, thickness, and density of the fabric into the calculator to determine the fabric weight.
- GSM (Grams Per Square Meter) Calculator
- Fabric Density Calculator
- Knots Per Square Inch Calculator
- Yarn Production Calculator
- Garment Industry Efficiency Calculator
Fabric Weight Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Fabric Weight .
FW = L*W*T*D
- Where FW is the fabric weight (grams)
- L is the length of the fabric (in)
- W is the width of the fabric (in)
- T is the thickness of the fabric (in)
- D is the density of the fabric (g/in^3)
To calculate fabric weight, multiply the fabric volume by its density.
What is Fabric Weight ?
Fabric weight is defined as the total mass of a piece of fabric, dependent on the overall dimensions and the type of fabric.
How to Calculate Fabric Weight ?
The following example outlines the steps and information needed to calculate Fabric Weight.
First, determine the length, width, and thickness of the fabric. In this example, these are 10inches, 9 inches, and .125 inches respectively.
Next, determine the density of the fabric. In this case, the density is found to be 2.5 grams per cubic inch.
Finally, calculate the fabric weight using the formula above:
FW = L*W*T*D
FW = 10*9*.125*2.5
FW = 28.125 grams