Enter any two fractions into the calculator. The fraction addition calculator will add both fractions together and display the answer as a simplified fraction.
- Fraction Subtraction Calculator
- Fraction Division Calculator
- Simplify Fraction Calculator
- Multiply Fractions Calculator
Fraction Addition Formula
The following formula is used to calculator the addition of fractions.
X/Y + A/B = C/D
- Where X/Y is one fraction
- A/B is the other fraction
- C/D is the simplified solution
Fraction Addition Definition
Fraction addition is the process of adding two or more fractions together to produce a new fraction.
Fraction Addition Example
How to add fractions?
- First, determine the two fractions
Determine the two fractions, x/y, and a/b, that you would like to add together. For this example, we will assume the fractions are 1/2 and 2/3.
- Next, convert the denominators
Convert the two fractions so that they contain the same denominator. This can be done using the LCM of the denominators. For this problem, the LCM would be 6. The fractions would then be 3/6 and 4/6 respectively.
- Add the fractions
Add the numerator numbers together, and keep the denominator the same. 3/6 + 4/6 = 7/6 = 1 1/6.
Simplify the fractions to the lowest possible form.
Fraction addition is the process of adding two values in a fractional form into one value.