Enter a fraction x/y and a fraction a/b to subtract from the first fraction. The calculator will display the simplified value after subtraction.
- Fraction Division Calculator
- Fraction Exponent Calculator
- Simplify Fraction Calculator
- Fraction Addition Calculator
Fraction Subtraction Calculator
The following formula is used to calculate a subtraction of two fractions.
X/Y – A/B = C/D
- Where X/Y is the first fraction
- A/B is the fraction being subtracted from X/Y
- C/D is the new resulting fraction
Fraction Subtraction Definition
A fraction subtraction is the process of subtracting one fraction from another to produce a new fraction.
Fraction Subtraction Example
How to subtract fractions
- First, determine the fractions
Determine the two fractions, x/y and a/b that are to be used in the calculation.
- Next, convert the denominators to like terms
Using the LCM of the denominators, convert the fractions so that the denominators are equal. For example, if the fractions were 1/2 and 1/6, you would want to multiply 1/2 *3 = 3/6.
- Subtract the fractions
Subtract 3/6 – 1/6 = 2/6.
- Simplify the equation
Divide both sides of the fraction by their GCD = 2, so 2/6 / 2/2 = 1/3.
Subtracting fractions involves converting two fractions so they have matching denominators, and then performing the subtraction on the numerators only after conversion.