Enter the early finish days of the activity and the early start days of the successor activity into the calculator to determine the free float.
Free Float Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the number of days of free float.
FF = EF – ES
- Where FF is the free float days
- EF is the early finish of the activity (days)
- ES is the early start of the successor activity (days)
Free Float Definition
A free float is defined as the difference between the early finish date of an activity and the early start take of a subsequent activity.
Free Float Example
How to calculate free float?
- First, determine the early finish.
Calculate how many days ahead of schedule an early finish would be.
- Next, determine the early start.
Calculate how many days ahead of schedule a subsequent activity could start.
- Finally, calculate the free float.
Using the formula, subtract the early start from the early finish to determine the free float.
Free float is a measure of the time that a scheduled activity can be delayed without interfering with the start of a subsequent activity.