Enter the mass and coefficient of friction into the calculator to determine the moving force.
- All Force Calculators
- Tractive Force Calculator
- Coefficient of Friction Calculator
- Friction Calculator
Moving Force Formula
The following equation is used to calculate the Moving Force.
MF = m*g*u
- Where MF is the moving force (N)
- m is the mass of the object (kg)
- g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2)
- u is the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of contact
What is a Moving Force?
A moving force is the total force that needs to be applied to an object to overcome friction and move the object. The greater the friction, the greater the moving force.
How to Calculate Moving Force?
The following example outlines the steps and information needed to calculate Moving Force.
First, determine the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of contact. In this example, the coefficient of friction is found to be .865
Next, determine the mass. For this problem, the mass of the object is found to be 50 kg.
Finally, calculate the Moving Force using the formula above:
MF = m*g*u
MF = 50*9.81*.865
MF = 424.28 N