Enter the ground speed (MPH) into the Pivotal Altitude Calculator. The calculator will evaluate the Pivotal Altitude.
Pivotal Altitude Formula
The following two example problems outline the steps and information needed to calculate the Pivotal Altitude.
PA = GS^2 / 15
- PA is the Pivotal Altitude (ft)
- GS is the ground speed (MPH)
To calculate the pivotal altitude, square the ground speed, then divide the result by 15.
How to Calculate Pivotal Altitude?
The following steps outline how to calculate the Pivotal Altitude.
- First, determine the ground speed (MPH).
- Next, gather the formula from above = PA = GS^2 / 15.
- Finally, calculate the Pivotal Altitude.
- After inserting the variables and calculating the result, check your answer with the calculator above.
Example Problem :
Use the following variables as an example problem to test your knowledge.
ground speed (MPH) = 150
PA = GS^2 / 15 = ?