Enter the mass of two different objects to calculated the reduced mass equivalent of those two objects.
- Gravitational Potential Energy Calculator
- Gravitational Force Calculator
- Apparent Weight Calculator
- Mass to Weight Calculator
Reduced Mass Formula
The following formula is used to calculated the reduced mass equivalent of two separate masses.
M = m₁ * m₂ / (m₁ + m₂)
- Where M is the reduced mass
- m1 is the mass of object 1
- m2 is the mass of object 2
Reduced Mass Definition
The reduced mass of two objects is a way to simplify a physics problem of two masses using one mass instead. As is shown by the equation above, this value is simply a ratio of the products of the masses to the sums of the masses.
How to calculate the reduced mass?
How to calculate a reduced mass
- First, measure the mass of object 1
Using a scale or formula, determine the mass of object 1.
- Next, measure the mass of object 2
Using a scale or formula, determine the mass of object 2.
- Calculate the reduced mass
Enter the mass 1 and mass 2 into the formula above to calculate the reduced mass.
A reduced mass is a ratio of the products of two different masses used to simply physics problems.