Enter the mass of two different objects to calculated the reduced mass equivalent of those two objects.
Reduced Mass Formula
The following formula is used to calculated the reduced mass equivalent of two separate masses.
M = m₁ * m₂ / (m₁ + m₂)
- Where M is the reduced mass
- m1 is the mass of object 1
- m2 is the mass of object 2
The reduced mass of two objects is a way to simply a physics problem of two masses using one mass instead. As is shown by the equation above, this value is simply a ratio of the products of the masses to the sums of the masses.
How to calculate a reduced mass
- First, measure the mass of object 1
Using a scale or formula, determine the mass of object 1.
- Next, measure the mass of object 2
Using a scale or formula, determine the mass of object 2.
- Calculate the reduced mass
Enter the mass 1 and mass 2 into the formula above to calculate the reduced mass.