Enter the rock mass (lbs) and the rock volume (ft^3) into the Rock Density Calculator. The calculator will evaluate and display the Rock Density.
- All Density Calculators
- Grating Density Calculator
- Concrete Density Calculator
- Specific Volume to Density Calculator
Rock Density Formula
The following formula is used to calculate the Rock Density.
RD = RM / RV
- Where RD is the Rock Density (lbs/ft^3)
- RM is the rock mass (lbs)
- RV is the rock volume (ft^3)
To calculate the rock density, divide the rock mass by the rock volume.
How to Calculate Rock Density?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Rock Density.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the rock mass (lbs).
- The rock mass (lbs) is given as: 90.
- Next, determine the rock volume (ft^3).
- The rock volume (ft^3) is provided as: 3.
- Finally, calculate the Rock Density using the equation above:
RD = RM / RV
The values given above are inserted into the equation below:
RD = 90 / 3 = 30 (lbs/ft^3)
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables needed are provided below:
rock mass (lbs) = 145
rock volume (ft^3) = 34
This example problem is a test of your knowledge on the subject. Use the calculator above to check your answer.
RD = RM / RV = ?