Enter the force, initial length, area, and transverse displacement into the calculator to determine the shear modulus.
- Shear Stress Calculator
- Young’s Modulus Calculator
- Von Mises Stress Calculator
- Bending Stress Calculator
Shear Modulus Formula
The following equation is used to calculate a shear modulus of a material.
G = F * L / A * D
- Where G is the shear modulus (pascals)
- F is the force (N)
- L is the initial length (m)
- A is the area being acted on (m^2)
- D is the transfer displacement (m)
Shear Modulus Definition
Shear modulus is defined as the ratio of shear stress to shear strain and is a measure of the rigidity of a material.
Shear Modulus Example
How to calculate a shear modulus?
- First, determine the shear force.
Calculate the force causing the shear.
- Next, determine the initial length.
Calculate the initial length of material.
- Next, determine the total area.
Calculate the total area the force is acting on.
- Next, determine the transfer displacement.
Calculate the transfer displacement.
- Finally, calculate the shear modulus.
Calculate the shear modulus using the formula above.
A shear modulus, also know as rigidity modulus, is the ratio of shear stress to shear strain acting on an object.
Shear modulus is calculated using the formula above. It’s equal to shear stress divided by shear strain.
Shear modulus is a measure of the rigidity of an object. Young’s modulus is a measure of the elasticity of an object.