Enter the original length (h) and the total deformation (w) into the calculator to determine the shear stress acting on a square object.
Shear Strain Formula
The following formula is used to calculate shear strain.
y = w / h
- Where y is the shear strain
- w is the total deformation as seen in the illustration below
- h is the original length/height of the object
Shear Strain Definition
A shear strain is defined as the deformation of an object due to a shear stress.
Shear Strain Example
How to calculate shear strain?
- First, measure the original length.
Measure the original length, often considered the height of a square object.
- Next, measure the deformation.
After a shear force has been applied to the object, measure the deformation.
- Finally, calculate the shear strain.
Calculate the shear strain by dividing the deformation by the original length.
Shear strain is a type of strain that is caused by a shear force or shear stress.
Shear stress if a stress caused two forces acting in opposing directions and opposing surfaces of an object.