Enter the number of words spoken and the total time of the speech (min) into the Speech Rate Calculator. The calculator will evaluate the Speech Rate.
- All Rate Calculators
- GWAM (Gross Words Per Minute) Calculator
- Speech Length Calculator
- Word Density Calculator
Speech Rate Formula
The following two example problems outline the steps and information needed to calculate the Speech Rate.
SPR = WS / T
- Where SPR is the Speech Rate (words/min)
- WS is the number of words spoken
- T is the total time of the speech (min)
To calculate the speech rate, divide the number of words by the total time.
How to Calculate Speech Rate?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Speech Rate.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the number of words spoken.
- The number of words spoken is given as: 500.
- Next, determine the total time of the speech (min).
- The total time of the speech (min) is provided as: 5.
- Finally, calculate the Speech Rate using the equation above:
SPR = WS / T
The values provided above are inserted into the equation below and computed.
SPR = 500 / 5 = 100 (words/min)
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables required are provided below:
number of words spoken = 600
total time of the speech (min) = 10
Test your knowledge using the equation and check your answer with the calculator..
SPR = WS / T = ?