Enter the number of words spoken and the total time of the speech (min) into the Speech Rate Calculator. The calculator will evaluate the Speech Rate.
- All Rate Calculators
- GWAM (Gross Words Per Minute) Calculator
- Speech Length Calculator
- Word Density Calculator
Speech Rate Formula
The following two example problems outline the steps and information needed to calculate the Speech Rate.
SPR = WS / T
- Where SPR is the Speech Rate (words/min)
- WS is the number of words spoken
- T is the total time of the speech (min)
How to Calculate Speech Rate?
The following example problems outline how to calculate Speech Rate.
Example Problem #1:
- First, determine the number of words spoken.
- The number of words spoken is given as: 500.
- Next, determine the total time of the speech (min).
- The total time of the speech (min) is provided as: 5.
- Finally, calculate the Speech Rate using the equation above:
SPR = WS / T
The values provided above are inserted into the equation below and computed.
SPR = 500 / 5 = 100 (words/min)
Example Problem #2:
For this problem, the variables required are provided below:
number of words spoken = 600
total time of the speech (min) = 10
Test your knowledge using the equation and check your answer with the calculator..
SPR = WS / T = ?